Thursday, September 18, 2008

Cover Letter Advice

I agree with pretty much all of the advice given. It's good to show that you've put in effort in finding out about the company and actually care about the job that you are applying for. One thing I do disagree with is that I believe it's okay to mention one or two things about yourself. For example, if there is something you want the hiring manager to know, that simply can't be expressed in a resume, then it is okay to have it there as long as you keep it to a minimum. Cover letters must also be unique as well. On the other hand, the advice not to write too much about yourself was very helpful and is something I will keep in mind when i'm writing my cover letter.

Another piece of helpful advice was not to generalize your cover letter. Don't send the same on to several different companies and simply change the name of the receiver. Hiring managers want to see specifics about you and your goals for this company, should you be hired. All of these tutorials will be very helpful when I start my cover letter.

No comments: